Saturday, May 17, 2008

Quilting Class Question

I'm going to post two different postings. This one will not have any pictures. Most of you will remember my excitment of buying a new Bernina Aurora 430. Most of the LQS who sell the Bernina machines also include a Mastery class. This class instructs you on how to use your new machine. Now, because there are so many things that this machine can do, these classes last about a month and meet once a week. Besides teaching you how to use your machine, they are hoping that you will also buy all the feet, thread and other classes that you might need from their store. I understand that. I have no problem whatsoever with this. But when I sign up for classes and I am charged $200 and I pay the $200, when I don't show up for the first class, for whatever the reason, I would expect a phone call to gently remind me that I have a class, I might have forgotten. I especially would like a phone call when everyone there at the store, especially the woman who is teaching the class and who signed me up, knew how excited I was to finally get this sewing machine. Even though I did not expend the big money for the sewing machine from their shop, I am expending big money to take these classes from their shop. Am I asking too much for the instructor to ask someone else who is working in the store to please call the people who have not showed up to remind them about the class? Is this too much to expect? I would like to know. As a consumer, I would think that in this cottage industry, you would like to hold on to the customers you have in hope that they bring in new customers or keep on buying from your store. Am I wrong? I took another class yesterday and the instructor called me Thursday to remind me. And it was a really good thing that she did because when I signed up, they didn't know when they were going to give the class. So I didn't know that the class was going to be on Friday the 16th. When the instructor called to tell me about the class, I was able to ask her what I needed to bring, etc. I was very happy to receive that call and I was very happy to take that class and I did buy other stuff from the store while I was there. Including another foot for the sewing machine that I needed to take the class. Anyway, I went in today and since the next set of classes aren't going to start until August, I asked for my money back. And then the instructor tried to guilt me that she could have sold me the machine and not told me about the other woman selling her machine. And yes, she could have done that. And she could have called me to remind me about the class. So, I do not feel guilty and now I have my money back. Keep the piece. Renée

1 comment:

Gina said...

Unfortunately in this day and age alot of sales people are only interested in getting your money and adding to their sales figures. Customer service seems to ahve gone out of the window.

love and hugs xxx