Thursday, April 3, 2008

Scrappy vs Controlled


As a sort of newbie piecer (I don't know how to "quilt"), I also was trying for that controlled look. And you know, most of those quilt patterns that we see are created for a line of fabric from some fabric line or another. When I started to piece, I joined Keepsake Quilting's Fabric Club and received a set of coordinated fat quarters every month. I created quite a stash with these fabrics (most of it is in storage in eight boxes). Unfortunately, you couldn't make a whole quilt out of those fat quarters, then, you probably can now. Anyway, I always wondered what the heck I was going to do with all those fat quarters and then I discovered Bonnie's site. Her site is the greatest thing to happen to someone who has "stash" but hardly any yardage. What a great way to mix up the fabric. And if you look at some quilts, there are dots next to stripes and florals next to plaids, anything goes. The thing that I have trouble with is deciding what is a medium. I seem to have collected mostly lights, pastels or very darks, not quite that much in between. I am doing another mystery quilt on webequilts and I need yardage for that. I have gone into my stash of backing fabric, the only fabric that I have yardage, and I still don't have enough medium of one color. So I've mixed up a few pinks and we shall see how this turns out. I am not going to fret, because as someone said, I can always donate it. Those are the fabrics up there, I still haven't figured out how to get the photos to be where I want them. Anyway, pink and purple are my two most favorite colors and whatever happens with this quilt, I know that I will like it and put it on my bed. And making it with all the other mystery piecers out there will be fun. I think the most fun is being with all the other quilters as we put these mysteries together. And I like to see if anyone else has done the same thing as I have. That's why I have decided to read the directions very, very carefully, at least twice and do exactly what it says. No shortcuts for me anymore, especially now that Bonnie has given me the confidence to work with triangles. I even bought two new triangle rulers. LOL. Anyway, I must go and cut up the last of the fabric for the second mystery quilt, as this will start on Saturday. Keep the piece.





1 comment:

Amanda said...

I seem to have the opposite problem - no stash. Fabric is so expensive in the UK that I tend to buy just what I need, so only have scraps left at the end, and not very much of them. I've had to buy fabric for the OC quilt, though I had enough dark for the 4 patch blocks.